Recruiting is becoming an SEO thing: at least now that Google for Jobs is here. Google became the market leader in the job market overnight . Companies can use search engine optimization to gain a lead in the competition for employees. And with Google for Jobs we now have a new character in Google search that could completely change recruitment. Janis Schmidt, Matthias Uhlig and Gidon Wagner have tested Google’s job platform and will give you a briefing for your SEO strategy.
The Universal Search: Google’s permanent construction site?
Google for Jobs is part of Google’s Universal Search. That means: Sometimes normal search results appear, then videos, then a knowledge box – and now jobs too. The universal search is sometimes a curse, sometimes a blessing – the search engine often uses it to steal website traffic and simply displays the data itself. For example in the knowledge graph. When was Berlin founded? Google tells you and pulls data from websites that often go out without a click. Google for Jobs could do more than harm to businesses. Not just because more applicants are becoming aware of the jobs. Sites can make your job in Content Management System featuring thereby also gaining visibility.
Use Google for Jobs as a tool for reputation
Universal Search was good for reputation before: In 2012 and 2013, Google displayed the photos and names of authors of its search results. With the creeping decline of Google Plus as a social network, the author information disappeared again. But Google is constantly optimizing to improve the user’s search experience. For shopping or hotel offers, for example, with serious additional business intent through commissions. In the case of job offers, this is really only to improve the user’s search experience.
Universal Search is a success story. Google has long been providing quick answers to simple questions; not just facts, recipes or the weather. Also pictures, videos, shopping offers, maps, flights, hotels; Google likes to jam everything over and into its search result lists. Everything that helps the user. And now the jobs too:
The Google Jobs Launch promises these advantages for companies:
- ✅You come with your job advertisements including logo, reviews and ratings of your employees in the search results. That’s damn cool: free branding opportunities for your brand.
- ✅You attract the attention of the right applicants: Interested parties can search for important criteria such as location, job title and type of employment: from interns to full-time to contractors. Google for Jobs could also be a point of contact for freelancers looking for jobs.
- The most important thing: More job seekers will find you, Google promises higher conversion chances for companies. However, we think that Google for Jobs is not quite as paradisiacal: The competition for jobs at Google is increasing because companies have many more options for optimizing the distribution of their job advertisements. At the same time, the upper positions of the search results gain even more weight, the lower ones become even less important. The big portals and brands will win. Your chance: Do good SEO for your jobs.
Google for Jobs scheme for your homepage
Whether Google embeds your jobs in a clearly visible way has little to do with content, more with the correct technical marking of the existing job offers and the relevance of your domain. As always, details are Google’s private business and we can only observe. When we mark our job content, we talk about awards . You make such an award for a job offer in HTML code.
In practice it looks like this:
? Google shows you how to correctly mark up job advertisements
The official documentation for Google for Jobs shows how to properly display your job offers. You can find it here: https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/job-posting?hl=de – you can find more details at https://schema.org/JobPosting – schema.org is the central point of contact for structured data in the network.
? Conquer Google for Jobs with WordPress Plugin
For WordPress there is a plugin with which the markups in HTML work easily. You only have to conscientiously maintain your job data in WordPress. You can find more information about the plugin here: https://wollmilchsau.de/personalmarketing/google-for-jobs-kostenloses-wordpress-plugin-fuer-eure-karriere-webseite/
Labeling data correctly is worthwhile: Anyone who has a logo on Google for Jobs will attract attention.
? Use Google Jobs for marketing and rank better
Do not do the least, but structure your data carefully and completely with the Schema.org awards. Also make sure that your pages are indexed correctly. For this, the Search Console is mandatory and you have to make your awards like from the Google textbook. Otherwise your logo will be lost on the way, for example, or your job advertisement does not have all the data in it and slips through the user’s fingers unnoticed while he is making his filter settings. If, for example, the location is not right, you are no longer in the search grid in the radius setting of your users. If your logo isn’t visible, your ads will be less noticeable.
Find out more about Google for Jobs in an expert interview
Google Jobs as a new opportunity for more traffic thanks to external content?
Niche sites often have an easier time, and maybe Google Jobs is a chance for you to pick up traffic that you would otherwise not get. Like job portals, you could write to the job provider and integrate suitable jobs on your own website. You could get job traffic to your site and, for example, specialize in jobs in the digital industry in Berlin. You can hardly get a nicer integration of your domain in the search results than in the jobs search results.
? Is Google changing the way we search for jobs?
It is almost certain that more users will use Google directly to search for jobs. So it is conceivable that the direct traffic to job portals will decrease somewhat. They can make up for the loss by properly optimizing and bringing their results into Jobs for Google. But there they compete with more other websites. Employers could get around job search engines in individual cases if they have good positions in Google for Jobs. Whether you as a job provider should rely on your organic job ranking is questionable – after all, time is often of the essence when it comes to job advertisements and wasted opportunities are wasted growth when it comes to new, talented and motivated seo service in delhi.
Bonus checklist: How to get your website ready for Google Jobs
You wrote a great job advertisement. But for the ad to appear on Google for Jobs, you have to play by the rules of the search engine. We have summarized these rules in a checklist.
Step 1: A job detail page for each vacancy
In order to show users relevant search results, Google presents job advertisements including distance and travel time to the employer. Therefore the following points are important:
- Every open position at every location must have its own job detail page (URL) – avoid ads that summarize multiple locations.
- Firewalls and robots.txt files must be removed from the job page for the Googlebot to crawl them.
- The website host’s load settings must allow frequent crawls.
Step 2: A data markup for each job offer
Google wants to identify, classify and process job information on the web. To do this, the search engine works with structured data markups in the HTML code of the websites. It is important that each vacancy has an appropriate markup. You need to make sure that each job page type is set to JobPosting and uses the schema.org markup.
The mandatory information includes:
- The date you posted the job postings.
- A full description of the job (including tasks and expected qualifications and skills).
- The name of the company, but without the address of the location (example: “Starbucks Inc.” and not “Starbucks on Main Street).
- The address of the location where the employee will be working.
- The job title.
- The date on which the job posting expires (if there is no expiry date, you can omit this point).
This information also improves your presence in the ranking:
- Payment information (base salary or a salary range. You can also specify billing units – such as billing by weeks or hours).
- The type of employment (full-time, part-time, fixed-term)
- An identification number for the order.
Step 3: Update the XML sitemaps daily
Google loves to be kept informed of changes. In order to maintain the good reputation of your website, you should therefore regularly update the XML sitemaps.
- Update XML sitemaps at least once a day.
- With <lastmod> you inform Google about the last update date of the URL.
- Remove search results, lists, and other dynamic pages from the sitemap.
- Remove posts that have expired or are no longer available.